The list of my beliefs is pretty short but it does include more than science. A thing I believe in is Ki 気, concentrated willpower or “life’s breath”. This frequently occurs in martial arts, particularly in internal styles; in calligraphy and drawing Ki is called gesture, line of action, and life-force of the brush.
I’ve also come to accept Taoist beliefs that go some distance beyond the scientifically verifiable. It is interesting to note there is a set of ninja scrolls, namely the Bansenshukai, which explains that astrology is pseudo-science and not reliable. However, it still teaches astrology as reverse-psychology. If your enemy believes in astrology this can be used to strike fear and design subversive tactics. Bansenshukai 萬川集海, i.e. “Many rivers merging into the ocean,” are the combined ninja scrolls of the Iga and Kora medieval kingdoms.
1. I do believe in a way of the universe, and powers influencing nature’s creatures. Good influences and not so good; good places, and not so good. You’ve got to trust your instincts. This is the concept of Dao 道.
2. I do believe in clarity of intention.
3. I do believe in good form of ceremony and music, as in martial arts. Confucius emphasises the importance of ceremony, music and proper from of everything in life, and I borrow this idea from him.
4. I do believe in the power of the human mind.
5. I do believe in the power and strength of nature’s creatures.